I always mention our fabulous PTA – or Friends Group – whenever I show new families around school. Having an active PTA is about more than just fundraising – it’s about socialising – about creating a community for the school and putting on family-friendly events. And then there is the fundraising.
The fact is, though many of you may not realise it, the Friends group have contributed thousands of pounds to school life over the last few years. And, in a time of rapidly rising school costs this has been a lifeline for us.
In the last four years the Friends group have:
- Bought new computer equipment – facilitating our movement to a ‘Google Apps’ School.
- Bought equipment for, and then helped maintain, the school garden.
- Supported our Arts provision; paid for poets and musicians to come in to school.
- Bought hundreds of new books and helped to refurbish our library.
- Organised events that all the children can take part in – e.g. End of Year Disco, Halloween Parties, Easter Fun Days.
- Supported school events such as the trip to the Panto in December and Christmas Dinner.
- Supported the school by maintaining the garden, the art work outside and the flowers in and around the playground.
- Manned the Facebook page and elements of the school social media.
All of this creates a very special school environment with a very positive relationship between school and parents. It means that our pupils access the best in educational experiences and the opportunities that come from these. It means that we can depend on a few extra hundreds of pounds for new books, for special visitors or for amazing school trips when we see them.
I just wanted to write this post to thank you all for supporting the Friends of Castle Carrock. Without the people who organise and run events, as well as everyone who attends events and, of course, spends money at these events, our school wouldn’t be the same at all.