Special Educational Needs

Our School Policy for Special Educational Needs can be found here.

This Information Report can be downloaded here:  SEN Information Report

This report provides Parents with further information as to how we support and make the appropriate provision for children with special educational needs and disabilities. We hope that it helps you make informed decisions about our school and what we can offer your child.
What kinds of special educational needs do we provide for?

These four broad areas give an overview of the range of needs that may be provided for.
• Communication and interaction
• Cognition and learning
• Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
• Sensory and/or physical impairment.
The purpose of identification is to work out what action the school needs to take, not to fit a pupil into a category. We identify the needs of pupils by considering the needs of the whole child, which will include not just the special educational needs of the child or young person.
How do we identify a child with SEND and how do we assess their needs?

The school is committed to early identification in order to meet the needs of children with SEN. Teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of the pupils in their class, including where pupils access support from teaching assistants or specialist staff. Teachers’ ongoing assessment will provide information about areas where a child is not progressing satisfactorily. Teachers will then consult with the SENCO to consider what else might be done – the child’s learning characteristics; the learning environment, the task and the teaching style should always be considered. Progress for children will be achieved by focussing on classroom organisation, teaching materials, teaching style and differentiation. If subsequent intervention does not lead to adequate progress then the teacher will consult the SENCO to review the strategies that have been used. This review may lead to the conclusion that the pupil requires help that is additional to or different from that which is normally available. This would constitute Special Educational Provision and the child would be registered as receiving SEN Support. We seek to identify pupils making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances. This can be characterised by progress which:
• is significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
• fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
• fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
• widens the attainment gap
• fails to make progress with wider development or social and emotional needs
• fails to make progress in self-help, social and personal skills
Who is the SENCO and how can we contact them?

The Senco is Kathryn Grayson and she can be contacted directly at school on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesdays. Alternatively you can contact Ms Stacey, the Head teacher.
How do we involve parents and consult with them about their child’s education?

The school is committed to working closely with parents and they can meet regularly with school staff when concerns and successes are shared.
Parents will be involved at every stage of their child’s progress, through liaison with the class teacher and later the SENCO. Parents are encouraged to be involved with target setting for individual education plans (IEPs). Some home activities may be provided. Parents and pupils are invited to target setting meetings and to review progress. Parents of children with Statements/ EHC Plans will also be invited to a yearly review, along with relevant support service personnel connected to the child, and the pupil themselves.
How do we involve and consult the children about their education?
When it is age appropriate, more often in Key Stage 2, children are encouraged to contribute to their education. We do this by having open discussions during review meetings, giving pupils with SEN the opportunity to comment on their progress and how they feel they are moving forward. We listen to what they would like to improve on, and enable them to be involved in the planning process. Pupils are made aware of their targets and these are shared with parents.
How do we assess and review the progress that children make and how do we involve them and their parents?
The teacher and SENCO will consider all of the information gathered from within the school about the pupil’s progress, alongside national data and expectations of progress. This will include formative assessment, using effective tools and early assessment materials. From this, we identify the child’s current attainment, achievements and learning profile. This may involve taking advice from the SENCO, external specialists and may include the use of diagnostic and other assessments to determine the exact areas of need and strategies recommended. Where external specialists are involved directly with the pupil, parental consent will be sought first.
The progress of the pupil will be reviewed at the end of the specified period of intervention. This review will form the basis of further assessment and planning. Meetings with pupils and parents happen at least termly.
How do we support our pupils with SEND as they move on to secondary school or move to another school?
When a pupil transfers to another school, transfer documents, including full records of their special educational needs, will be sent to the receiving school. On transfer to secondary school the Year 6 teacher and SENCO will meet with the SENCO of the receiving school to discuss SEN records and the needs of the individual pupils. An invitation will be issued for a representative of the receiving school to attend the transition review meeting held in Year 5 and Year 6. There are opportunities for children to start attending nurture groups at their secondary school of choice, prior to starting in Year 7.

How do we adapt the curriculum and the learning environment for children with SEND?
When a child has been identified with special educational needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
• Teaching Assistants may be allocated to work with the child in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
• Specific resources and teaching programmes may be used to support children, and can be adapted where necessary to best meet the needs of the child. Specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, pen/pencil grips, easy to use scissors.
• The school is all on one level thus ensuring easy access for wheelchairs or for children or adults with walking aides.
The school works closely with the relevant support services to ensure that disabled pupils are able to access the curriculum and the school environment. Please refer to our ‘School Accessibility Plan’ for more information.
How are the staff trained and kept up to date? If we need more expert help and advice, what do we do?
• The Senco regularly attends training sessions to keep up to date with changes and to further her knowledge.
• Where possible, teachers and teaching assistants attend relevant training to the specific needs of children within their class.
• Some of our Teaching assistants are trained in delivering reading, writing and maths support programmes.
• Staff have attended training sessions about Autism and Makaton.
• Continuing Professional Development is valued at Castle Carrock and is viewed as an on-going process.
How do we know if what we provide for the children is effective?
The effectiveness and suitability of all intervention and support programmes is closely monitored by the class teacher and Senco to ensure that appropriate progress is being made by the pupil.
The Headteacher also closely monitors and tracks the progress of all children in the school.
Castle Carrock school has a team of efficient and experienced teaching assistants who are used to support children in class. Regular discussions take place with the class teacher to ensure provision is appropriate and effective for those children involved.
How are children with SEND enabled to take part in all the activities outside the classroom including physical activities and school trips?
We are an inclusive school and the school offers after school clubs which are open to all children. The clubs on offer do vary each year but generally cover a range of interests such as sports, music, ICT/Code club and arts based clubs.
All children are encouraged to participate in class trips and also residential visits in Key Stage 2. Appropriate risk assessments are put in place. Where a child has specific needs, additional measures are put into place to enable them to participate as fully as possible. In such cases the school will liaise fully with parents and support agencies if involved.

How do we involve and work with other professionals such as local authority support services and other organisations to meet the needs of our children?
The Senco has established positive working relationships with outside agencies, who may at times be consulted with to receive their more specialised expertise. In such cases, parents are consulted and permission is gained prior to referral. The views of Parents is always respected. These may include:
• Educational Psychologist
• CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
• Barnados
• Specialist Advisory Teachers for Literacy/Autism
• NHS Speech and Language therapists
• Occupational Health
• Health Visitors for Early Years
• School Nurse
Parents are kept involved during the whole process and where possible are invited to meet with a representative of the agency involved. Where this is not possible, the Senco will provide updates and feedback.

How are the school’s resources allocated to children with Special Educational Needs?
We ensure that all children who have SEND will have their needs met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available.
We have a Teaching Assistants who are funded from the school budget and deliver intervention designed to meet groups of children’s needs. The budget is allocated on a needs basis.
What should I do if I have a concern or complaint about the provision for my child?
If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with your child’s class teacher, with the Senco, Mrs Grayson or with the Head teacher, Ms Stacey.
The complaint procedure for special educational needs mirrors the school’s other complaints procedures. Should a parent or carer have a concern about the special provision made for their child they should in the first instance discuss this with the class teacher. If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily parents have recourse to the following:
• discuss the problem with the SENCO
• discuss the problem with the Headteacher
• More serious on-going concerns should be presented in writing to the SEN Governor, who will inform the Chair of Governors
Where can I find information about Cumbria County Council’s Local Offer?
The Cumbria County Council’s Local Offer will provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in this area, and what they can expect from those services. With regard to education, it will let parents/ carers and young people know how school and colleges will support them, and what they can expect across the local settings. Schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible and wherever possible, and the needs of pupils with special educational needs are met in a mainstream setting, where families want this to happen.
The full local offer of services available in Cumbria can be found at www.cumbria.gov.uk or by contacting the Family Information Service Tel: 08457 125 737
Email: childrens.information@cumbria.gov.uk

If you would like to talk to someone further about this provision please contact the school. If you would like to find out more about what Cumbria County Council can offer parents, please check here.